Wednesday, March 28, 2012

You Don't Train For Easy

In marathon running, you don't train for the first mile.

In culinary school, you don't train to be a cereal chef.

In cycling, you don't train to ride downhill.

I took a short ride on the bicycle tonight after work. As I ascended and descended a couple of medium sized hills the thought occurred to me that everyone feels really fast going downhill, but only the strongest riders (myself not included) feel fast going uphill.

Thinking back to the spinning class I've been attending the past few weeks, I realized that we don't do any interval training to become stronger downhill coasters. The instructor never yells out, "Ok feel the wind whipping through your hair on this imaginary descent; coast this part out all the way to the bottom." I've heard him tell the class, "2 minutes fast, 2 minutes faster, and 2 minutes of everything you've got." But not once have I heard, "2 minutes leisurely, 2 minutes average, and 2 minutes of slow down if you start to sweat."

In fact, no one focuses their training to be really good at the easy part of anything. Marathon runners don't train to have really fast first mile times and then walk the other 25.2. Even sprinters don't train to be the first to 20 meters and then dashingly good jogging form for the other 80 meters.

I've long accepted the fact that I won't be competing for any serious athletic awards, but I still like to train. I enjoy that spin class, because the instructor makes me ride harder than I ever would on my own. I love the timely reminder of, "this is going to be hard, but this will make you stronger." But what other areas of my life am I lacking in because there is no trainer on the microphone, blaring rock and roll, and cute girl down the row riding faster than me? When am I focusing on being good at the easiest part -- the part everyone is good at -- and neglecting the things that separate average from extraordinary?
  • At work, am I honoring my employer by using my time productively?  Am I offering suggestions for issues that arise or deferring to someone else to fix the problem?
  • Career-wise, am I seeking extra responsibilities and assignments to push my knowledge and experience?  Do I start each day with a purpose or am I simply floating along, hoping to bump into a promotion?
  • In my friendships, am I looking for ways to support and build up my friends or am I all about convenience on my schedule?
  • Spiritually, am I seeking ways to love strangers and enemies the way Jesus commands me or do I stay firmly inside of my comfy bubble?
  • In my prayer life, am I asking God to push me, teach me, and increase my faith or just asking Him to satisfy my wants?

No comments: